Thursday, February 16, 2012

Beer Butt Chicken

When I was first being taken in my husbands family her mom made me this for dinner. I thought it was a joke. How can you possibly get a chicken to drink beer. It was just silly. I pictured my dog sneaking a lick off the top of a beer can around the pool during the summer and just chuckled to myself. That doesn't happen on farms. How could it possibly be a good thing for dinner. Well I am so glad I gave it a try. This is the most moist chicken I have ever tasted. It also has so much great flavor. Plus it is super easy to make, it just takes a bit of patience. Pre heat the grill to medium heat. Then buy a can of beer. Open the beer, drink half then put a sprig of rosemary inside the can. Take a whole chicken and put a few cloves of garlic and a sprig or two of rosemary under the skin. Then shove the can of beer inside the bottom cavity of the chicken. Make sure to take care not to spill the beer. Then set the beer can side down propped up on the non fire side of the grill. Then roast for 3 or 4 hours depending on the size of the chicken. The chicken is done when a meat thermometer comes out at 170F when placed into a chicken breast.

** The stand you see pictured above is called a Beer Can Chicken Stand and it can be purchased in store from Cabela's in the camping section. There are other brands out there that are more wire like and we tried one and didn't think it was stable enough. We went to Omaha and bought this one as soon as we could. **

No comments:

Post a Comment