Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Cookies (7/8) -- Candy Cane Cookies

When I found this recipe I thought it would be a fun kiddy (aka easy) type of cookie to make.  It was not easy. All of my candy canes looked lumpy and the green portion of the dough was the consistency of slime. I made about half of the dough into cookies and then put the rest in the fridge and have yet to complete the batch. I didn't feel comfortable giving them to friends so I took the whole lot of them to my parents house for Christmas. My sister ate a few and said they tasted good even though they looked like a kid made them.  Maybe if I had refrigerated the dough before I rolled out my canes it would have come out more even.


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Green food coloring
  • 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
  1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. 
  3. Beat in egg and extract. 
  4. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
  5. Divide dough in half; add 6-7 drops of food coloring to one half. 
  6. Shape tablespoonfuls of each color of dough into 4-in. ropes. 
  7. Place ropes side by side; lightly press ends together and twist. 
  8. Place on ungreased baking sheets; curve to form canes.
  9. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned. 
  10. Combine crushed candy canes and sugar; immediately sprinkle over cookies. 
  11. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment