Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Holiday Cookies (1/8) -- Dog Biscuits with Soy Milk

     My husband and I are and have always been dog lovers. We have 6 dogs in our life. 2 on my husband's side that are Shiloh an English Setter and Taffy a Cocker Spaniel. I am lucky to be part of a 4 dog family, Suze a black lab and Apollo a giant yellowish red lab that live with my parents, Mandy a yellow lab lives with my Aunt and then there is Molly a Rhodesian Ridgeback that lives with my grandparents.  We decided that these wonderful dogs deserved some holiday treats and these biscuits would be a wonderful start to our holiday cookie baking. After they were completely cooled we shipped a fair amount off to Nebraska and are planning on taking the rest to the family Christmas at my parents for the other pups.
     To create this recipe I did a google search for a peanut butter dog treat recipe and ended up picking this recipe because my husband drinks soy milk and I thought it would be fun to make the treats using soy milk. So in the end here is my version of Dog Biscuits with Soy Milk. I have modified the ingredients and instructions to include what I actually used and to walk you through my process. If you have a dog biscuit shaped cookie cutter that would be great but for this recipe I just used holiday shapes. Gary's dogs in Nebraska didn't seem to mind that they weren't normal bone shaped.


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled old fashioned Quaker oats 
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 3/4 cup smooth Jiffy peanut butter 
  • 1 tbsp. honey

Directions: 

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine the flour, oats and baking powder.
  3. Attach the Flat Beater to your stand mixer.
  4. In the stand mixer stir the milk, peanut butter and honey until smooth.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients from 2 to the stand mixer.
  6. Beat for 1-2 min longer to knead the dough a bit.
  7. Put some flour on the counter top and get out your rolling pin.
  8. Remove about half of the dough and place on the counter in the floured area.
  9. Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thickness.
  10. Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
  11. Place the shapes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or two.
  12. Bake for 23 min then remove the cookies to wire racks to fully cool before storing them.
  13. Repeat from 9 with the scraps from the initial cut out and the additional dough from the mixer bowl until you have cutouts from all the dough you can roll out.

No comments:

Post a Comment